The Parliament of Finland and Political Parties of Finland for Democracy – Demo Finland are pleased to invite you to celebrate the International Day of Democracy on the 13th of September. The Parliament and Demo Finland will hold a seminar on democracy at the Parliament auditorium between 08:30-11:15.
This year the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU) has chosen oversight as the theme for the celebration. Oversight is a core function of parliaments and a vital part of the checks and balances of any democracy. In a time of disconnect between democratic institutions and the people the critical role parliaments play in holding governments accountable should be highlighted.
The seminar will be opened by Deputy Speaker Tuula Haatainen, after which Demo Finland’s Chairperson MP Päivi Räsänen will give her remarks. The seminar will also include a panel discussion by MP representatives of the nine parliamentary parties, as well as a speech by Demo Finland’s partner Hermenegildo Mulhovo from Mozambique. Closing remarks will be given by the Minister for Foreign Trade and Development Anne-Mari Virolainen.
The seminar is hosted by Jenni Karimäki, senior researcher at the Center for Parliamentary Studies. Simultaneous translation to English is available.
Please register here by the 6th of September. Welcome!
- 08:30-9:00 Coffee
- 09:00-9:15 Deputy Speaker Tuula Haatainen opens the seminar
- 09:15-09:25 MP Päivi Räsänen, the Chairperson of Demo Finland gives her remarks
- 09:25-10:25 MP Panel discussion: Silvia Modig (Left Alliance), Sirpa Paatero (SDP), Tiina Elovaara (Blue Reform), Satu Hassi (Green Party), Anders Adlercreutz (Swedish People’s Party), Sari Tanus (Christian Democrats), Saara-Sofia Siren (National Coalition Party), Aila Paloniemi (Centre Party) ja Ville Tavio (Finns Party)
- 10:25-10:55 IMD Executive Director Hermenegildo Mulhovo: “Parliamentary oversight and natural resources management in Mozambique”
- 10:55-11:10 Closing speech by Minister of Foreign Trade and Development Anne-Mari Virolainen
- 11:15 Seminar ends